Two of the papers are published. Please quote as follows:
Winter, S. & Gärdenfors, P. 1995. "Linguistic Modality
as Expressions of Social Power." Nordic Journal of Linguistics
18 (2): 137-166.
Balkenius, C. & Winter, S. 1997. "Explorations in Synthetic
Pragmatics." In A. Riegler & M. Peschl (eds.), New Trends in
Cognitive Science -97 "Does Representation Need Reality?,"
Vienna, Austrian Society of Cognitive Science, ASoCS Technical Report 97-01,
Five men have provided more inspiration than anyone else to my work.
I dedicate this thesis to them. They are:
- Peter Gärdenfors
- Christian Balkenius
- Tom Andersson
- Per Johansson
- Talmy Givón
I also want to express my gratitude to some other people and institutions:
- My colleagues and often friends at the Cognitive Science Department:
Annika Wallin, David de Léon, Henrik Gedenryd, Agneta Gulz, Paul
Hemeren, Jana Holsánová, Sofia and Linus Broström, Lukas
Böök, Janne Morén, Lars Kopp, Lars Hall, Robert Pallbo,
Micke Johannesson, Måns Holgersson.
- People that have given inspiration and comments: Per Linell, Jens Allwood,
Johan Asplund, Björn Larsson, Jean-Jacques Berthout, Bengt Sigurd,
Lars-Åke Henningsson, Claudie Péret, Alf Hornborg, Wallace
Chafe, Ronald Langacker, Dan Sperber, Dare Baldwin, Dan-E. Nilsson, Rebecca
Schweder, Wlodek Rabinowicz.
- Talmy Givón, Russell Tomlin, Colette Craig and the Ortega-Haboud
family for receiving me in Eugene, Oregon, for a one-month stay.
- People on the Internet, most of whom I never met, who kindly provided
papers, theses and references: Susan Gelman, Geneviève Patthey-Chavez,
Thomas Pechmann, Linda B. Smith, Ralph Miller, Robert Krauss, Justin Marshall,
Stevan Harnad, Esther Goody, Jennifer Freyd.
- The Swedish Council for Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences
(HSFR), Lund University, Lundbergska IDO-fonden, Dagny och Eilert Ekvalls
premie- och stipendiefond and Fil. dr Uno Otterstedts fond, for funding;
Scandinavian PC Systems AB in Växjö for valuable help.
- Alan Crozier for proofreading. Henrik Gedenryd and Magnus Haake for
help with the layout and the cover.
- And last but perhaps most my dear friends and my family.